- Tam Francis is a writer, blogger, swing dance teacher, avid vintage collector, and seamstress.
- Please set a username for yourself.
- Join YourDictionary today.
- Please let me know if you can.
- Gas - No this wasn't what you put in your car, it was either a good time or something that was really funny.
Thank you for creating this list.
Or does anybody else know? Examples of s slang Ameche - To make a phone call. We still use this word today and it still refers to being tipsy. Historical Background In the s film noir was at its peak in the United States. Killer diller - Something that is the best, or amazing.
Adding 1940s Slang
Have you heard any of these terms? It was the end of the golden age of swing, while jazz as we know it today was slowly coming to the forefront. Rhubarb - An argument or squabble, first used in reference to disputes in baseball. They play too many slow ones for me, but I love it when they swing.
S To s Phrases & Slang
S Slang - The Girl In The Jitterbug Dress
- What about in the narrative?
- Curly says this in Disorder in the Court Three Stooges.
- Eager beaver - Used to call someone an enthusiastic helper or someone who was overly excited about something.
- Has anyone heard of this song, are pegs his pants?
- Dope - Often used as slang for drugs, in wartime s this word took on another meaning, referring to information, especially reliable info, but that usage soon died out.
Look closely and you will see that many of these terms will not be new to you. Hopefully this brief list will help you to better understand s slang. Please add any slang I missed!
Do you use any s slang in every day life? Gonna use it in my next vintage story! Not sure when it hails from? This is one of my favorite decades. Here it is, writing a male dating and a sample of the song.
Examples of 1940s slang
History of American Slang Words. From the music and the movies to the fashion style - it was one of the most memorable decades in American history and the slang was something that was unique to the era. Which s slang words do you use? Pass the buck - Implied that someone wasn't taking responsibility for their actions or that they were blaming someone one else. Is this correct or have I been fooling myself?
A Historical Dictionary of American Slang
That slang has not disappeared completely. Check out this killer diller list of s slang. Do you like slang in fictional dialogue? Bust your chops - Used as a scolding, maybe to yell, best free dating app for but not to literally hit someone.
Hubby has Sirius in the car. Armored heifer - Canned milk. My mom used to say that, too. YourDictionary definition and usage example. Fat-head - A stupid or foolish person.
Cheesy - In the s it meant cheap. Some of those interesting words coined in the s are still used today, although maybe with another meaning. Are you hep to the jive and would you use any of these words today?
Bum rap - A false accusation. Crack up - To burst out laughing. Moxie - Courage or strong nerves.
Please keep sharing and come back often. It told the story of the time. Did you know these s slang terms? Jive bomber - A good dancer. Today it still means the same thing.
To Slang or Not to Slang
Any movie or book you can reference? Chrome-dome - This used to be a mildly offensive word for a bald man. Snap your cap - Get angry. In the s film noir was at its peak in the United States.